As a residential architect specializing in the shingle style, I have decided to try and design an architecturally “A+” 2100 (amended to 2721 sqft) square foot house to make available to the masses for a low cost compared to my one off designs for full service fees. The style will be Neo-New England vernacular design; very simple and boxy to save money, analogous to a traditional cape or colonial, but putting a focus on architectural design and material quality rather than traditional fluff.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Crazy as a fox

Last night I found a west coast company that makes "energy efficient blocks." Could I be on to something. I will keep you posted.

Yesterday I spoke with a Connecticut cmu maker. I will contact them also to see if they have any interest in the different technology.

Listen, I haven't given up the shingle style, this is simple exploration...thing like an architect, outside the freakin box and allowing this process to bring me where it wants to go. I am intrigued with the idea that I could provide a maintenance free exterior skin to a residence, cost effectively, and true to the essence of the material.... meaning it isn't plastic trying to be would, or asphat shingle trying to be wood shingls. Gag my with a T square!

2 comments:

lavardera said...

Not sure what to make of this diversion Dave. It sounds like you want an authentic and affordable alternative to "no maintenance" vinyl siding. I'm not sure that the labor that goes into masonry construction would ever approach that even with cheap CMU, and certainly not with a custom short production run unit.

I think you are spinning your wheels here, but by all means have fun, making donuts in the parking lot...

David Andreozzi said...

Well, if you consider the cost of a custom shingle style exterior, then its benefit become its endless life without maintenance. And its sexy looking! I get excited thinking about it! ;^)

Followers

BlogCatalog

Architect Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory