As a residential architect specializing in the shingle style, I have decided to try and design an architecturally “A+” 2100 (amended to 2721 sqft) square foot house to make available to the masses for a low cost compared to my one off designs for full service fees. The style will be Neo-New England vernacular design; very simple and boxy to save money, analogous to a traditional cape or colonial, but putting a focus on architectural design and material quality rather than traditional fluff.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Thoughts...Top to Bottom

I like the first floor allot. The great room with larger dining room is simple but perfect. The kitchen is set up well poking out into the back yard, and I like the addition of the bar stools facing into the back yard. I left the two bonus closets near the stair for mechanical for non Northeast applications.

The second floor works ten times better than before. I agree with a a couple of you that the master bath is not acceptable. One pedestal sink is not right. I love the 2nd floor laundry.

The elevations have been diluted a bit, especially the roof... nice, but much work ahead.

Peace

4 comments:

Christopher Hough said...

Hey David, really enjoying watching this house develop. I see some nice things happening on the floor plan. I do have some thoughts for you consider regarding the upstairs master bath.

The issue that seems to be making that space (Master Bath) so difficult to layout is the angled window (granted a major feature). Consider how the plans work if you move the following rooms:

A) Move the utility back downstairs (I know, I know, stick with me, this is going somewhere good, I hope).

B) Master Bath and Study switch locations. This makes the space at the Master Bath more usable, and allows you to have a nice desk area with lots of light at the upstairs study. The Master Bath is then over the Utility for a laundry chute (maybe even a dumb waiter?)

Downside is that the Master Bath and Master Closet are separated, and you now have to walk downstairs to get to the Utility. But I think you'll wind up with a lot more useable space for that Master Bath. You'll have to get creative with the access from Study to Bedroom to Master Closet. MIGHT consider accessing Study off the main hall?

Just some random thoughts, take them or leave them.

JJones said...

David,
I am a mere student of architecture, but I'll tell you what I think. Down stairs works really well for me. It seems like it would be sunny, open and airey(did I spell airy right).
Upstairs, If you plan on keeping your "better half" happy, put in a second vanity in the master bath, if you know whats good for you. Also, I agree with Chris H. Swith the master bath with the study. To me, it seems almost like a waste of a potentially beautiful window/view. I would like to see the study in that location. But does the study even need to be its own seperate room? Or could it be one room with two destinct spaces?

Anyway,Good work.

J.Jones

P.s., Pats are out....Go Celtics!

David Andreozzi said...

OK, I am going to try an respond to both posts (Christopher & J) at the same time. I would start by saying, screw you both, you have your heads up your... ok, only kidding! :^)

In the northeast, I have every mechanical room in the basement, but I figured it would add a level desirability to southern states if I could hold on to those rooms as possible mech rooms. I agree with you though, if it were my house, it would be in the basement.

I am not sure I agree with the master bathroom and the closet being on the opposite side of the bedroom. I really like them connected as a rule... thought I do understand your recommendation of a nice study off the stairway where the bath is now.

I also agree the one pedestal sink is unacceptable for an everyday home. that is on my list.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

Finally, J, I am in denial regarding the Patriots, play with me, lets pretend we still aren’t out of the playoffs!

Go Sox
Go Celtics
Jeremy Jacobs can eat me!

Dave

lavardera said...

I hear what you are saying about the m.bath and closets, however I think the idea to swap the study and m.bath is a good one. That would make an interesting study room with the bay window, and a door to the hall, and a better space for the m.bath for two sinks.

I would split his and hers closets - hers close to the bath with his on the other side, no worries for him to be further from the bath.

Followers

BlogCatalog

Architect Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory