As a residential architect specializing in the shingle style, I have decided to try and design an architecturally “A+” 2100 (amended to 2721 sqft) square foot house to make available to the masses for a low cost compared to my one off designs for full service fees. The style will be Neo-New England vernacular design; very simple and boxy to save money, analogous to a traditional cape or colonial, but putting a focus on architectural design and material quality rather than traditional fluff.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

2nd Floor Update


Here is my latest rambling experiment. The extra 512 square feet (256 on the 2nd floor) allowed allot of things to occur. I like the extra space, private baths, laundry room, and better organized circulation... but the first floor parti could be blown to bits. We shall see...

3 comments:

Dave Rizzolo said...

Interesting plan changes with this scheme. My first reaction was wondering what you are thinking for the roof now that form is non-platonic. My second was the impact on the construction costs given the stated goal of creating a plan design accessible to the masses. The given $225 per sq ft costs are pushing the project to $587,700 without land costs. In RI with typical house lots running $250k and better in more affluent communities puts the project total costs around $837,700 – clearly pushing it out of upper middle class and into lower upper class. I don’t know that this is a bad thing but I do think you need to readdress your project statement/goals.

David Andreozzi said...

I agree the roof is rectangular now... which was scary to me. On one hand it becomes random and un-pure, on the other hand, if the house if purposely facing east or west to the front, then this actually becomes a smarter green design decision.

I can't imagine the cost per square foot has changed...but that may change when I address which of those design roads to eventually travel...

lavardera said...

Definitely a worthwhile exploration David, but I hate to see you abandon the smaller footprint. How about another run through of the square plan. I'd suggest:

• smaller master closet
• master bath size, ok, but gather the area into one space so it feels bigger (meaning nix the recessed shower and circulation).
• direct hall access to the study
• bathroom off the hall instead of the bedrooms
• limit walk-in closet to master and use built in wardrobes for other bedrooms (squeeze on in the study as well)

Followers

BlogCatalog

Architect Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory