As a residential architect specializing in the shingle style, I have decided to try and design an architecturally “A+” 2100 (amended to 2721 sqft) square foot house to make available to the masses for a low cost compared to my one off designs for full service fees. The style will be Neo-New England vernacular design; very simple and boxy to save money, analogous to a traditional cape or colonial, but putting a focus on architectural design and material quality rather than traditional fluff.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

I am back from Reinvention & CORA Congress in Austin and I am pretty confused. Now I am thinking that this needs to be greener by design and maybe bone bare cheap. I will continue on my merry way for now, thinking that it would be cool to see if I could take the same design and detail two different ways. We shall see.

The latest version continues with the 8' grid and overlays the golden section upon it to see where it may take me. I felt compelled to create a bump out for kitchen to give it some sense of soul, that led me to the rotated 32' square. I am also using it for a stair tower for now.



2 comments:

lavardera said...

(slaps hand to forehead) Detail two different ways?

David, your comment makes me feel like you are really removed from this world you are proposing to enter. If you finish this, find a way to market it, and find people somewhere in the nation building it, then I can assure you that maybe 1 in 12 will follow your "details". If you are lucky.

Detail it, once if you must, but realize you are doing it for yourself, and leave it at that.

David Andreozzi said...

I am thinking two very different models... wood frame shangle style and bare bone concete block. I am clearly being tempted by the dark side. If I do the latter, the entire idiom will change.

Stay tuned. ;^)

Followers

BlogCatalog

Architect Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory